In 2006, when working with the Association for the Defense of Refugee Right; I was leading this organization and I was the editorialist of the Voice of Refugees.
Voice of Refugees was a newsletter published in Osire Refugee Camp with the aim if informing refugees, national and international opinion about the violations refugees and asylum seekers were going through.
A number of article and reportage were signed on my behalf as I was the author.
After publishing, I could be called by the refugees authorities to explain to them about some articles and I was going to them.
The article I will never forget for the history of ADR and his baby ADR is the one I wrote about out of school and drop out school children. In my article, I also inform the community and authorities about some families where children were kept home with reason that children were hate by teachers or at school teachers and learners were witchcrafts.
Some months ago I published the said article, I visited all the children and their relatives telling them to register again to school but the could not follow my advise, imagine what could I do? Just to take my pen and jot some words in a paper and let everyone to know the reality on these children who could not attend classes because their parents didn't study when they were in the age of being schooled.
As the newsletter was read, everyone was talking about the article and officers called me for precision's so they they may take decisions.
Families were called to the offices as a result, a family came to fight me at home to threaten me and my family. My children were in trouble because in their way to school or back home they were being beaten every day. As it was too much now, I took the issue to the police station where we were counsel and it stopped.
Among the families in the list, 99.9% of children were taken back to school and the 0.9% decided to keep those children at home. There was not any reason to keep these children home because their futures were in danger.
To misunderstand is the result of someone in power and giving advice. My purpose of writing this article was just a warry of the future of these children who were denied the right of schooling by their own parents in this era of technology
Doninique, <sambaansnzekadominique @gmail.com>
No comments:
Post a Comment