Tuesday, April 17, 2018

My School Holidays

During my school holidays, after work at the field with my grand mother, I was spending my free time with old men who were working irons making knives, hoes, and other important materials. I really enjoyed spending time with these people who could have the same age with my father. I learnt lessons and melt some important instruments, copper and many of them.
The most important of all were the advises I learnt from these experienced people. When my fellow young people were busy playing, I preferred to spend my free time with men because in the town where I was studying, I could not get any opportunity to be with men and get any knowledge.
Sometimes these old people could entertain themselves through proverbs and as I could not get anything from their conversation, I could just lough but at the end of the conversation they were teaching me the meaning of the proverb.
This is where I learnt this proverb: "Men are at the mortars and women at the iron-works" it means 'upside down.'
My village was just a simple one without electricity and televisions. It was the time of radiocassets. Only some family could own a radiocasset, men were enjoying spending their free time forging iron and young were learning skills from these fathers.
I don't know if you also enjoyed spending time with elders of your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment